Thursday, August 12, 2010

The value of 2nd Hand in Japan and the lack of space I have to accommodate it.

The hands on the clock are pushing two in the morning and I can't sleep. Tomorrow I'll be taking my third driver's test and hopefully my last. Although, I lack the confidence and expecting the xenophobia from the testers. Failing is more than likely, going to occur.

I just can't get passed it. Its difficult. If the testers had to take the test I took when I was sixteen; I would believe they might fail. Drivers in Japan aren't good, they're just polite.

But I digress. This isn't the point of this entry. What I want to talk about is the entire concept of 2nd hand in Japan.

Unlike the US, the Japanese place little value on something that is used. Lets take for example a guitar. In the US, if someone was to sell a used guitar and it was in good condition; even with upgrades (such as new pickups, ivory inlays, new pick guards, etc...) the used price might be close to matching the original price.

The Japanese on the other hand, completely disregard this train of thought. If its used, it lacks any value. This also means that second hand stores sell every item at about the quarter to an eighth of its value.

A few days ago I was in a local 2nd hand store looking at a variety of items. The guitars struck me as an item I would like to obtain while I'm here. Most of them, used were priced around $30USD. I knew by their brand and the condition they were in, that was far too cheap. The store should really be asking for at least $250 for most of these axes. Of course, its Japan and they see them as worthless.

Since I don't know how long I will be in this country and the lack of space I occupy; I'm conflicted with to purchase one guitar or two. If I get one, it becomes a battle between acoustic and electric. Then on either end it also becomes a battle of what style of each I might like.

Its been months since my fingers have touched a six string so I can't tell you what I'd like at the moment. Either has a lot going for it at the moment. The problem is 'What do I want to play?'

Its hard to play metal, ska, or punk rock on an acoustic. Then on the other hand, its difficult to make folk sound soulful on an electric. There is a disconnect between the two and its hard for me to pick. Considering the prices, I could scoop up both with little trouble to my wallet. But I know that when I got back home, it becomes a problem of 'do I want to bring these with me to the states?'

Can you see the problem?


No comments:

Post a Comment