Friday, April 9, 2010

The Second Day Of School...

I learned today that on the 14th, that I will have one English class to assist in teaching (appro 50 minutes). This means that the days I began work, on the 8th up until then; is mostly me sitting on my hands. To some people, this seems like the ideal job. Which so far, it has its rewarding parts but parts that are holding me back.

Of course I have a totally different mindset. I'm like Togo ready to run penicillin from Anchorage to Nome. Yes, I don't wanna get into it but Togo was a much better lead dog than Balto. Balto was too much hype...

Essentially, I'm ready to go balls to the wall.I have been wanting to do this for the past few years. Since today was 'sit on a hands day', I spent it creating more fun worksheets students can work on and not worry about being graded on. More or less, word searches, crosswords, and even a maze that has nothing to do with English. I have nothing else to do all day.

Sure I could read a book or practice Japanese but I'm there to work and make an impression on the students.

After seeing the entrance ceremony today and how highly regarded education is in Japan, its nearly overwhelming. Yesterday was nothing compared to today.

What happened today was kids coming from elementary school moving to junior high. It was super formal, sometimes felt like I was in a military school, but at the same time eye opening. There was so much respect for everyone. So much bowing, it began to hurt my back but maybe this was a cause of improper lifting techniques at fedEx. At one point I had to introduce myself to not only students but their parents and respected members of the PTA in the area (200 or so people). You would think this would be nerve racking but compared to speeches I've had
to give in front of 30 English speakers back home it was cake. Not to mention my introduction was in a language I can hardly speak....

I feel essentially its the group mind mentality. Back in the US, its all about standing out, which is good in some regards. However, there is also a time and a place for everyone to be equals. I don't want to get into some East vs. West argument, there is a time and a place for both.

Maybe what I am trying to get at is this ceremony was really important for everything. It means a lot for a Japanese person to take time off from work to see their kid to from one grade to the next. They don't believe in sick days over here. It means my job is really important. Sansei is a highly regarded term in this country. It was almost a wake up call...

Aside ceremony and wanting to work, there was other events that happened... I'm getting a kick out of all the kids saying 'Jelly' and wanting me to come talk to them. They give the the thumbs up a lot cause I give thumbs up. They're opening up a lot more. This is almost more important that language ability... Which is a bit weird.

A handful of the guys are wanting to tackle me. I hope I don't get Koncho'd. Thats where you form the tiger hand seal (I need to stop watching Anime). Once you have formed that, you sneak up on an unsuspecting victim and shove it up their anal regions. Probably won't happen in junior high, will probably happen in elementary...

Don't worry it means they like you. So thats good!

The highlight of today was Kendo. I learned a little bit today to hold a sword and a use it; as well as the proper footwork. Think of the sport as how samurai might train...


I didn't know much about it but when I watched it, I noticed how linear it was. Then I compared it to other notable Japanese martial arts; judo, karate, aikido and sumo. All but aikido is linear. Of course they all apply the mechanics of using the least amount of effort to do the most damage (except maybe sumo). What gets me cause up in it is being direct and to the point, which doesn't seem too Japanese. This may seem weird but I might talk about it later...

What was interesting was how most of the best kids practicing kendo were the girls. The teacher that leads the club is a lady. She was the social studies teacher I mentioned the other day. I'm not too surprised that the girls do the best. If this were a different martial art the guys could be doing better. Kendo is about quick, short, and accurate movements. Remember, its about using the least about of movement to do the most damage. The guys probably get too caught up in trying to hit another person on their crazy helmet as hard as they can instead of being quick and agile. The kid that one the small scrimmage tournament today was a girl.

This makes me wonder... Which is more dangerous, innocent Japanese girl or a guy with a gun. Concealed hand gun folks tell you three feet, three rounds, three seconds. A katana is about three feet, you can chop a person in half in less than a second (or take off their head), with little need for a follow up. Maybe the girls here are more dangerous than I think... I've seen lady snowblood, you never know where those women have a sword stashed...

At the end of practice, the teacher wanted me to give a speech to the kids in really simple English so I did. They appreciated it. Nearly three hours after I was supposed to be off the clock, I left the school. It was enjoyable though. The school and staff appreciate it. I don't have to stay after school every day but what else do I have to do? Pull my hair out trying to cook rice? It was fun. I will probably spend some more time this week in Kendo and maybe check out the art club.

Thats about all for now...

1 comment:

  1. Kendo. That's so awesome. I wanna do archery (Brian told me that's called kyudo). I really hope my school has an archery club...

    ReplyDelete