Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Recycling in Japan


Today I had the opportunity to begin the process of figuring out how to recycle in Japan. There is a lot to it and it seems to me, a little unnecessarily complex. Back home, where I live; there is one recycling bin. JUST ONE!!! Glass, aluminum, cardboard, paper; all thrown into one bin. There used to be three but I think the recycling company figured most people in the neighborhood to be too stupid or too lazy (or maybe both) to correctly recycle, that they turned it into one bin. This saves a lot of time for me and for everyone. It also gets more people on board and conscious of environmental impact.


Now that I'm in Japan, there are about five different bags as well as various ways I will have to recycle paper, newspaper, magazines, and cardboard. This is more complicated than The States. Generally, I always think of the Japanese as trying to simplify things before many countries, finding the path of least resistance. However, in this case, they are behind on the times.

No comments:

Post a Comment