Saturday, October 24, 2009

Never been to Canada?

Well, I have but this question isn't so much about if I've been or not but people I've met who haven't.

Growing up on a boarder state ( you know, one that boarders another country) it would only seem to make sense for me to have gone to Canada. Last time I went was around eight years ago. I'm sure plenty has changed and with the Olympics approaching in 2010, I'm considering going up; just to get the Olympic vibe.

Like I've said, I've encountered people who have never been, who have grown up in the same state as myself. I'm not trying to speak as I'm some superior person but this issue was brought up a few months ago and I just recently thought about it last night.

I was hanging out with a friend and his girlfriend (now fiance) brought up the issue "I've met people who've never been to Canada!!!" She later mentioned how this seemed odd by stating something along these lines; "it's just right there! Wouldn't you be curious to see what's in Canada? I would say the same if you lived in California or Arizona and have never been to Mexico!" I couldn't agree with her sentiment more.

Although, now it requires a passport to go to Canada (unless you live in New York, Vermont, Michigan, or Washington and carry an 'Enhanced Drivers License') its relatively cheap, maybe even a tank of gas, to get to the 'Great White North' (or round trip train ride on AmTrak for $70)

If you're under the age of 18 and your parents don't have the money afford a family trip to Canada, I understand but if you can afford an xBox360 or a Ps3, you can surely afford a trip to Canada.

Maybe the issue is what she stated, 'wouldn't you be curious?' Perhaps people aren't curious. Sometimes I really think they would rather fill themselves with meaningless materialistic garbage rather than seek any sort of adventure. Its a shame really because Canada is awesome. I think this can be best summed up with the following quote:

"Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken." — Frank Herbert

----------

No comments:

Post a Comment